Sunday, November 15, 2009

Fragments

Fragments of thought and feeling, that is what this piece is composed of. I thought or felt several things and wondered were they suitable to write, and regretted when I had let the feelings go that I had not written them, so I write this now, as I feel, what I feel.

I attended Elisabeth Petcu's exhibition on the opening day, it was a great success. Paintings, drawings, sculpture and music, all from the one hand. I bought a bird whistle, ten euros, which has, as I said in the visitors' book, a charming simplicity. I will go back to the gallery and buy another for my sister, Storyteller, who loves simple things.

Elisabeth has given me great encouragement with my writing, saying of my 'How To Write' piece 'David's piece brought tears to my eyes, I'm going to print it out and read it many times'. At the exhibition, she again complimented me, and said she saw parallels with music in what I had written. I said 'All art comes from the same source'.

There was not much time to talk with her, there were so many people there. Many pieces were sold before the opening talk, given by my sister, 'Girlie', who spoke off the cuff, having lost her notes and, as I said to her, all the better for that. Yesterday she told me 'They ran out of sold stickers' so many pieces were sold.

The exhibition is at the Kilternan Gallery, a really nice and charming little venue in county Wicklow. Elisabeth had a high position in the R.T.E. symphony orchestra, being chief flautist. She has only recently taken up the visual arts, including pottery and sculpture, which she mixes to great effect.

I remarked to Girlie, I hope she does not get any better at it, becoming 'sophisticated' and losing her gift of simplicity, which lends her work its charm.

This piece has the appearance of a letter, and is by way of experiment, merely writing as I said, as I feel, how I feel, what I feel. We must relearn how to feel and give expression to our feelings, helping to banish unfeelingness from an unfeeling world.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers