Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Sacred And The Profane

A Message To The Artist
Talk through your art, not your arse.

To experience art is to journey into the soul of the artist, a journey which only the soul can take. Or greater, it is to travel into the soul of being, to experience oneness with reality itself, the reality in the real and of the real, otherwise only experienced through the things of the natural world.

Why do I talk as I do? I am the sum of all of my experiences, both sacred and profane, and talk and write as such. Being made of bits and scraps of this, that and the other, I appreciate the saying that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

As an adolescent, I asked my mother why are there two words meaning the same thing, real and reality. She replied that reality is the essence, the meaning of the real, and not the thing itself. Then why are the words treated as meaning the same thing, I asked.

I still await the answer.

***************************************************
GLOSSARY: a vocabulary of words requiring special explanation: a dictionary.
ARSE: n. the posterior parts of an animal. adv. and adj. Arsy-versy, backside foremost: contrary. [A.S. ears; Ger. arsch, Sw. ars; cog. with Gr. orros.]
ARTIST: n. one who practices art.
PROFANE: .........v.t. to put to a wrong use: to pollute: to debase. n. profanation: a treating of anything with disrespect.
SACRED: .............adj. entitled to respect or veneration: devoted to destruction: set apart or dedicated, esp. to God:........
***************************************************
Selections from my old dictionary.
I appropriate inappropriate language. Such words have been misappropriated, I return them as lambs to the fold. No word is inherently good or bad, but may be "put to a wrong use" or a right one.
David****

2 comments:

  1. This is why the Civil service is so drab, they will never experience oneness with reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment is both true and funny. GBS said, if you wish to write a comedy, tell the truth. It is the funniest joke of all.

    ReplyDelete

Followers