Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Class Consciousness

Class Consciousness

.

In this piece, the first two lines are by Anon and date back to the nineteen forties or before.

.

A Rude Look at the Class System

.

The working class can kiss my ass,

I’ve got the foreman’s job at last.

The middle class can kiss my ass,

I’ve found the key of life at last.

The upper class can go to Hell,

A thing they tell us to do so well.

All class, first, second and third

Is up-my-arse absurd.

There is no class except good and bad,

Everything else is fucking mad.

.

“I said it was rude, it’s in the title,” I said to One-Of-My-Nieces-Once- Removed, whom I shall call Oomnor.

Oomnor (for it was she) said “I like it” (or did she say love it?) “Because it is true. You could have been negative”.

Me: You have to be positive. That rhyme should be taught in schools.

She: They never would.

Me: I think I’m getting better at writing.

She: You were always good at writing.

Me: You have to not care what anyone thinks. That’s self consciousness. I still haven’t overcome it completely.

.

Self consciousness has been described as the death of art. It’s the death of everything, a friend once said.

.

David ****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers